The Moldy Aftermath of Water Damage and How To Prevent It

hose-1310436_1280

Have you ever had serious water damage in your home and taken care of it yourself? While you may have done a handy job, it’s usually a good idea to get professionals involved. There’s a good chance you will end up with a mold problem! Mold can be seriously dangerous and harmful in multiple ways – not to mention expensive to remediate – and it’s within your best interest to eliminate the problem as soon as possible to prevent further damage or worse, health problems for you and your family.

WHAT IS WATER DAMAGE?

Water damage can happen very quickly and is very expensive to fix, especially if it leads to mold. Leaky pipes, improperly sealed windows, roof leaks, ruptured appliance hoses, sewage back-up, flooding, or even a heavy storm can be the beginning of irreparable damage.

After the water leak begins, it very quickly soaks into your possessions, your walls, even the wooden frame of your home (depending on where the leak is located and the amount of water that comes in). It’s unbelievably destructive and can rot wood, rust steel, and basically destroy whatever is in its path. We want to stress to you why is it so important to contact us as soon as you detect any sort of problem.

HOW MOLD WORKS

You can dry up the water but, unfortunately, that’s not the end of your worries.

Mold is a microscopic organism which digests organic matter and reproduces rapidly. It requires moisture, warmth, and something to snack on (walls, wood, carpet, insulation, etc.) in order to grow. Unlucky for water damage victims, mold spreads like wildfire, starting within 24-48 hours of being introduced to the proper conditions.

Mold is easy to identify if it’s not covered by something, but more often than not it will be hiding. It appears fuzzy and most commonly black, green, white, or orange. Mold has a pungent odor and you may not even recognize it as mold right away. Mold can cause an immediate threat to your health, so it’s vital that you take care of it as soon as it comes to your attention.

HOW TO PREVENT MOLD AFTER WATER DAMAGE

After water damage occurs, it is important to take the proper steps to avoid mold growth. Since mold grows within 24 hours, measures need to be taken right away.

Once the water has been extracted from your home, all moist areas need to be dried immediately. Towels, dehumidifiers, fans, and professional grade equipment can be used to properly ventilate the water-damaged area. If your walls were affected and need to be replaced, it is highly recommended that you invest in mold resistant insulation and drywall to avoid future mold infestations.

Reducing the humidity in your home is also good way to prevent mold because it thrives on moisture. However, mold grows in 50-90 degree temperatures, which are what humans also happen to prefer.

The most efficient way to prevent mold is to prevent water damage. Be sure to check around your home regularly for leaks, spills, and ruptured hoses connected to your appliances like your dishwasher, fridge, and washing machine. It will pay off in the long run, as well as save you from breaking the bank.

Report Loss

Online Report Loss Form

Fill out our online report loss
form for a quick quote response!
Just click button below to get started!

Affiliations
and Mentions

cleaning flooded basement clean up water damage
No matter how serious the situation, we will provide you emergency service that offers true peace of mind. All you need to do is call Water Damage Team or email us to get a call back in seconds!
clean up water damage
stream restoration companies