Water in Your Basement? Why You Need to Call Us Now!
Basement flooding is a serious problem—one that should not be taken lightly. In fact, if the water in your basement is not removed immediately, you can expect your home to suffer serious damage structurally, and you and your family to endure a potential health threat from the growth of mold and mildew.
The Water Damage Team—your local water damage experts—understand that quick action is needed to minimize and possibly eliminate the hazards and dangers that can result with your basement flooding. Beyond just removing the water, we also take all steps necessary to thoroughly dry the entire area, and also clean, disinfect, and sanitize it with professional-grade equipment and products.
While some homeowners take on the task of attempting to extract basement water and clean the affected area themselves, we never recommend it, for a number of reasons. Keep reading to learn about the most common dangers you could experience without seeking immediate professional help.
- Mold and mildew – Water in your basement seeps into walls and structural components, as well as into any items you have stored in your basement. Even if you have removed standing water, dampness can lurk in unseen areas and elsewhere that has not been thoroughly dried and treated, and this can lead to a serious infestation of mold and mildew. People with respiratory problems such as allergies and asthma may experience a worsening of their symptoms. Other serious—even life-threatening—health concerns caused by mold include nausea, skin inflammation, nausea, and mental and memory impairment.
- Contaminants and other biohazards – Water that overflows banks and runs through streets and yards before entering your basement contains biohazards and contaminants that can cause serious illness if not properly treated. This water picks up dirt, remnants of fuels from cars and trucks, lawn and plant fertilizers, animal waste, and more. If you have been flooded by water from outside, do not risk getting ill. Contact a professional water cleanup company like the Water Damage Team.
- Bacteria from the water in your home – If your basement has been flooded by an overflowing toilet, broken hot water heater, or faulty washing machine, that water also contains bacteria that can be hazardous to your health if not properly handled and treated. Do not allow this water to stand in your basement as it will spread and seep into everything in its path.
- Damage to your home’s building and structural items – Wood, drywall, brick, concrete – all these elements absorb water quickly, which threatens the integrity and safety of the building itself. If basement water is not removed promptly and thoroughly, you will see how it seeps deeper into the structural components and higher up the walls, all of which will require more extensive drying and cleaning, if not full replacement to ensure structural soundness.
- Damage or loss of your personal belongings – Whatever is in your basement, unless raised above water level, will suffer damage and perhaps total destruction. That could be furniture, appliances, electronics, boxes of family treasures and photos. By seeking immediate professional help, you may be able to minimize your losses and salvage precious belongings. And, pros such as Water Damage Team have the experience to not only extract the water, but properly and clean and restore to the best of their ability.
- Flooring, carpets, and carpet pads – Water touches these items first, and seeps deep down into the subfloor if left long enough. With prompt action to remove the water, you may be able to salvage these expensive home furnishings.
It might be tempting to try to remove basement flood water yourself. If you do, the results could be disastrous, as you probably don’t have all the necessary equipment to do a thorough extraction and drying of the area—including behind walls and through subfloors—or to fully decontaminate and sanitize to prevent health risks and the potential for mold. Don’t jeopardize your family’s health and safety. The Water Damage Team always recommends you hire professionals for all your water damage needs, because they have the training and equipment to do the job right—which means quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly.
The Water Damage Team is a full-service water-cleanup and restoration company serving clients since 2001 in Washington, DC. We treat your call with the urgency it deserves and are on-site to begin the water removal process in 60 minutes or less.